Wednesday 15 September 2010

Nigerian leader declares presidential bid on Facebook

The good luck Nigerian president has posted a statement on his Facebook account declaring that he will run for president in 2011 elections, pulling the rag off the feet of his opponents, and also effectively stoking religious and sectarian tensions in the country.

And he was soo keen not to promise anything at all if elected. And more interesting, he said he consulted with the opposition before declaring his candidature.

At 0900 gmt, Goodluck Jonathan wrote: ''Today, I confirm that after wide and thorough consultations spanning the six geo-political zones that make up Nigeria, with members of my family, my party, the opposition, civil society... I Goodluck Ebele Jonathan... offer myself and my services to the Nigerian people as a candidate for the office of president in the forth coming 2011 elections.''
 
Jonathan, who is from the Niger Delta in the south, inherited the presidency when late northern President Umaru Yar'Adua died earlier this year during his first term. Now, some in the ruling party PDP say the next leader must be a northerner because Yar'Adua did not complete his term.

 ''In presenting myself for service, I make no pretense that I have a magic wand that will solve all of Nigeria’s problems or that I am the most intelligent Nigerian. Far from it. What I do promise is this.

''I do not want to win your affections by giving you promises of things I would do in the future which others before me have given and which have largely been unfulfilled. Rather, I would want you to judge me by my records,'' he wrote.

''If I am elected President in 2011, I will make a covenant with you the Nigerian people to always do right by you, to tell you the truth at all times, to carry you along and most importantly to listen to you,'' he added.

Huh, this is a new one - from Obama's Blackberry to declaring bid for president on Facebook.

Nigeria is where many people have mobile phones they use to access internet (and of course Faccebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment